Friday, March 2, 2007

Mock Interview Reflection

A few weeks ago, we were assigned to pick a job description for a mock interview for class. After searching the Internet, I finally found a local job listing with Clemson University. Over the past week, my professor, Angie, has been meeting individually with each of us to do the mock interviews. This past Wednesday, I finally had my mock interview with her. Of course, I was very nervous. I think I was more nervous about the questions I would be asked than any other aspect of the interview. Until this interview, I had only been professionally interviewed one other time, and the thought of an interview scared me.

After the interview started, it was not so bad. It was a lot easier once I relaxed and realized that I could answer the questions. I did have trouble with a few questions though. At one point, I actually had to ask Angela to repeat a question and then I rambled on about something not related to the question. The fact that I lost my train of thought was very embarrassing, but I was able to get back on track after that.

I learned a lot from this mock interview experience. It definitely made me think about what I would say if I had to interview for a job today. I discovered while I was sitting in Angela’s office that my heart is not really with accounting. Even though I’m good at it, it just seems like a job to me, not necessarily a passion. Every time she asked me a question, I wanted to talk about my experience as a draftswoman, but instead I had to come up with situations and experiences related to accounting. I found myself tripping over the questions, and I was really unsure of how to answer some of them. I think the interview really opened my eyes to how I really feel about my career.

I think that the mock interview assignment is a great preparation tool. I will definitely use what I learned from it as I start interviewing for real jobs. Ed Macauley, a basketball player, once said, “When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him, he will win.” Whether it is for a basketball game or for your professional career, practice is the best way to prepare yourself for the competition. In a lot of ways, interviewing is a competition, and the winner gets the job!

No comments: